Even if I didn't spend my high school years in the 90es (I started highschool in 2000), and I was not in the US back then, I remember all of it: the amazing music, the crazy and free hair styles, the clothes, the CD player that was always skipping when you were moving, the 56k dial-up internet connection and its never ending sound,...
I can realte with all of it and it feels good, but at the same time not so good because soon, in a couple of years, we'll havea series about the kids in the '00 and that makes me feel so old already!
Anyway I highly recommend this show because it's quite cute. Here a series of things I liked about it
- Netflix know how to cast! There are no doubts! No 30 years old pretending to be 16, no state of the art make up and hair, no super hot teachers or moms that wake up amazing even if they have kids and a job (I am looking at you Bad Mom Movies even if I love you Kirsten Bell) or fathers that have the time to work out and proudly carry around a six pack (and I am not talking about beer)... Normal people... I just love it!
- The music was so good back then! I forgot how good it was and all the songs they mentioned and listened to are stuck in my brain now
- The storyline, even if it's simple, it's good. I love how Kate figures out about her sexuality without being straight for a season and then boom: gay (like every show on TV... literally: one of the regulars, not the main, becomes gay during the second/third season and has a storyline arc that lasts a season or two with someone that joins the cast as recurring and stays main until the arc is over... It's just lazy writing to me... Give us some more good/empowering/original coming out/awakening stories. "Everything Sucks" manages to be refreshing on the topic...
- I loved the "We're all the heroes of our own story. Without even realizing, we're probably the bad guy in someone else's." theme that keeps coming up!
- Did I mentioned the music? LOL
If you want to give it a go it's just 10 episode (25-30 minutes each). If you decide to check it out or you did it already, let me know in the comments!